Staying Married Forty Years
Marriage just like life, can be challenging. That is probably why 50 % of all marriages end in divorce according to The American Psychological Association.
This past May my lovely wife and I have been married 40 years. I find it sad that so many people when they hear this say” That doesn’t happen to often anymore.” We made it so I guess that gives me some right to give advice on the subject.
A wedding in America is estimated to crost around $26,000. Sometimes people put more time into making sure the wedding is perfect instead of making sure the love is perfect. But that is just me.
Five Tips For Staying Married Forty Years
- No matter how in love you are and even when you have found your true soul mate, it will not be all hearts and rainbows. I believe you have to go into a marriage knowing there will be ups and downs. It is easy to be in love when everything is great the true test comes when the times are rough.
- Be prepared to forgive. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes if you cannot forgive the little things forty years can be like a prison sentence. Now, I will say there are some actions that are unforgivable and that’s all I will say on that.
- Trust in your partner is critical, if you can’t trust your spouse why in the world would you have ever said “I do”. Also it is important to not make assumptions on what your husband or wife is thinking. Talk things out.
- The other night I was watching a movie and a women had killed her husband and when asked why she did such a thing she answered “I couldn’t stand looking at him any more.” I told my wife and she laughed, I didn’t think it was that funny.
- Grow together, we all grow and change as we travel through life. Be prepared for your partner to change over time and remember change is good. Always try and remember the person you fell in love with and that your partner is still the same person. Just evolved.
A successful marriage takes work remember this the next time you get tired of looking at your partner and start looking for a gun or a lawyer.
Here is a good article from Men’s Health on the subject: